Terms and Conditions
These conditions explain the rights, obligations, and responsibilities of all parties to this Agreement. Where we use the word 'you' or 'your' it means the Customer: 'we', 'us' or 'our' means the Remover. These terms and conditions can be varied or amended subject to prior written agreement. Your attention is drawn to our cancellation policy described in Clause 6, Clauses 8, 9, 10, and 11 which limit our liability and you should therefore consider specialist insurance to cover your goods or premises. We are able to arrange such insurance on your behalf. This insurance will form a separate Agreement between you and the Insurers and separate conditions will apply.
- 1.1 Our quotation, unless otherwise stated, does not include insurance, customs duties and inspections, parking fees or any other fees or taxes payable to government bodies.
1.2 We may change the price or make additional charges if circumstances are found to apply which have not been taken into account when preparing our quotation and confirmed by us in writing. These include:
- 1.2.1 You do not accept our quotation in writing within 25 days, or the work is not carried out or completed within three months.
- 1.2.2 Our costs change because of currency fluctuations or changes in taxation or freight charges beyond our control.
- 1.2.3 The work is carried out on a Saturday, Sunday, or Public Holiday or outside normal hours (08.00-18.00hrs) at your request.
- 1.2.4 We have to collect or deliver goods at your request above the ground floor and first upper floor.
- 1.2.5 If you collect some or all of the goods from our warehouse, we are entitled to make a charge for handing them over.
- 1.2.6 We supply any additional services, including moving or storing extra goods (these conditions apply to such work) or packing and unpacking.
- 1.2.7 The stairs, lifts or doorways are inadequate for free movement of the goods without mechanical equipment or structural alteration, or the approach, road or drive is unsuitable for our vehicles and/or containers to load and/or unload within 20 metres of the doorway.
- 1.2.8 We have to pay parking or other fees or charges in order to carry out services on your behalf.
- 1.2.9 There are delays or events outside our reasonable control which increase or extend the resources or time allowed to complete the agreed work.
- 1.2.10 We agree in writing to increase our limit of liability set out in Clause 22.214.171.124 In any such circumstances, adjusted charges may apply and become payable.
2. Work not included in the quotation
2.1 Unless agreed by us in writing, we will not:
- 2.1.1 Dismantle or assemble unit or system furniture (flatpack), fitments or fittings.
- 2.1.2 Disconnect, re-connect, dismantle or re-assemble appliances, fixtures, fittings or equipment.
- 2.1.3 Take up or lay fitted floor coverings.
- 2.1.4 Move items from a loft, unless properly lit and floored and safe access is provided.
- 2.1.5 Move or store any items excluded under Clause 4.2.2 Our staff are not authorized or qualified to carry out such work. We recommend that a properly qualified person is separately employed by you to carry out these services.
- 2.1 Unless agreed by us in writing, we will not:
3.1 It will be your sole responsibility to:
- 3.1.1 Send us a detailed list of all items at least 5 days prior to the scheduled removal date, unless a survey of the property, conducted by one of our operatives took place.
- 3.1.2 Declare to us, in writing, the value of the goods being removed and/or stored. If it is subsequently established that the value of the goods removed or stored is greaterthan the actual value you declare, you agree that our liability under clause 8.1 and 8.2 will be reduced to reflect the proportion that your declared value bears to their actual value.
- 3.1.3 Arrange adequate insurance cover for the goods submitted for removal transit and/or storage, against all insurable risks as our liability is limited under clauses 8.1 and 8.2.
- 3.1.4 Obtain at your own expense, all documents, permits, permissions, licences, customs documents necessary for the removal to be completed.
- 3.1.5 Be present or represented during the collection and delivery of the removal.
- 3.1.6 Ensure authorized signature on agreed inventories, receipts, waybills, job sheets or other relevant documents by way of confirmation of collection or delivery of goods.
- 3.1.7 Take all reasonable steps to ensure that nothing that should be removed is left behind and nothing is taken away in error.
- 3.1.8 Arrange proper protection for goods left in unoccupied or unattended premises, or where other people such as (but not limited to) tenants or workmen are, or will be present.
- 3.1.9 Prepare adequately and stabilize all appliances or electronic equipment prior to their removal.
- 3.1.10 Provide us with a contact address for correspondence during removal transit and/or storage of goods.
- 3.2 Other than by reason of our negligence or breach of contract, we will not be liable for any loss or damage, costs or additional charges that may arise from failure to discharge these responsibilities.
- 3.1 It will be your sole responsibility to:
4. Goods not to be submitted for removal or storage
4.1 Unless previously agreed in writing by a director or other authorized company representative, the following items must not be submitted for removal or storage and will under no circumstances be moved or stored by us. The items listed under (4.1.1) below may present risks to health and safety and of fire. Items listed under (4.1.2) to (4.1.6) below carry other risks and you should make your own arrangements for their transport and storage.
- 4.1.1 Prohibited or stolen goods, drugs, pornographic material, potentially dangerous, damaging or explosive items, including gas bottles, aerosols, paints, firearms and ammunition.
- 4.1.2 Jewellery, watches, trinkets, precious stones or metals, money, deeds, securities, stamps, coins, or goods or collections of any similar kind.
- 4.1.3 Plants or goods likely to encourage vermin or other pests or to cause infestation or contamination.
- 4.1.4 Perishable items and/or those requiring a controlled environment.
- 4.1.5 Any animals, birds or fish.
- 4.1.6 Goods which require special licence or government permission for export or import.
- 4.2 If we do agree to remove such goods, we will not accept liability for loss or damage unless we are negligent or in breach of contract, in which case all these conditions will apply. If you submit such goods without our knowledge we will make them available for your collection and if you do not collect them within a reasonable time we will apply for an appropriate court order to dispose of any such goods found in the consignment without notice. You will furthermore pay to us any charges, expenses, damages, legal costs or penalties incurred by us.
- 4.1 Unless previously agreed in writing by a director or other authorized company representative, the following items must not be submitted for removal or storage and will under no circumstances be moved or stored by us. The items listed under (4.1.1) below may present risks to health and safety and of fire. Items listed under (4.1.2) to (4.1.6) below carry other risks and you should make your own arrangements for their transport and storage.
5. Ownership of the goods
5.1 By entering into this Agreement, you guarantee that:
- 5.1.1 The goods to be removed and/or stored are your own property, or
- 5.1.2 The person(s) who own or have an interest in them have given you authority to make this contract and have been made aware of these conditions.
- 5.1.3 You will pay us for any claim for damages and/or costs brought against us if either warranty (5.1.1) or (5.1.2) is not true.
- 5.1 By entering into this Agreement, you guarantee that:
6. Charges if you postpone or cancel the removal
6.1 If you postpone or cancel this Agreement, we will charge you according to how much notice is given. “Working days” refer to the normal working week of Monday to Friday and excludes weekends and Public Holidays.
- 6.1.1 More than 3 working days before the removal was due to start: No charge.
- 6.1.2 Between 3 and 1 working days inclusive before the removal was due to start: 50 GBP cancellation fee
- 6.1.3 Less than 24 hours before the removal was due to start: not more than 40% of the removal charge.
- 6.1 If you postpone or cancel this Agreement, we will charge you according to how much notice is given. “Working days” refer to the normal working week of Monday to Friday and excludes weekends and Public Holidays.
7.1 Unless otherwise agreed by us in writing:
- 7.1.1 All payments are to be made on Completion of the Removal Service directly to our team in cash.
- 7.1.2 Credit/Debit Card (not AMEX) details must be provided to secure a booking. We will not charge your card, unless a cancellation fee applies.
- 7.1.3 All queries in respect of payments must be directed to the Removal Office.
- 7.1.4 No Set Off - The Customer shall pay all money due under these terms and conditions without any discount, deduction, set off or counterclaim regardless of any claim or dispute which the Customer has or alleges it has against the Removal Company.
- 7.1.5 In respect of all sums which are overdue to us, we will charge interest on a daily basis calculated at 2% per annum above the prevailing base rate for the time being of the Bank of England.
- 7.1 Unless otherwise agreed by us in writing:
8. Our liability for loss or damage
8.1 Our liability for loss or damage is limited, as set out in clause 8.1.1 below. Alternatively, you may request us to increase our liability, as set out in clause 8.1.2 below:
- 8.1.1 In the event of our negligence or breach of contract resulting in loss of or damage to your goods, we will pay a sum equivalent to the cost of their repair or replacement whichever is the smaller sum up to a maximum of ?80 for any one item (see below).
- 8.1.2 Prior to the commencement of work and subject to our having received your itemised valued inventory (see 3(3.1.1)) we may agree to increase our liability, for an additional charge. We will not unreasonably withhold consent to such a request. This is not insurance cover and you are strongly advised to accept the insurance offered in our quotation, or if arranging insurance cover yourself, you are advised to show this contract to your insurance company.
8.2 For goods destined to, or received from a place outside the United Kingdom
- 8.2.1 We will accept liability for loss or damage (a) arising from our negligence or breach of contract whilst the goods are in our physical possession, or (b) whilst the goods are in the possession of others if the loss or damage is established to have been caused by our failure to pack the goods to a reasonable standard where we have been contracted to pack the goods that are subject to the claim. In either circumstance clause 8.1.1 and 8.1.2 above will apply.
- 8.2.2 Where we engage an international transport operator, shipping company or airline to convey your goods to the place, port or airport of destination, we do so on your behalf and subject to the terms and conditions set out by that carrier.
- 8.2.3 If the carrying vessel/conveyance, should for reasons beyond the carrier's control, fail to deliver the goods, or route them to a place other than the original destination, you have limited recourse against the carrier, and may be liable for General Average contribution (e.g. the costs incurred to preserve the vessel/conveyance and cargo) and salvagecharges, or the additional cost of onward transmission to the place, port or airport of destination. These are insurable risks and it is your responsibility to arrange adequate marine/transit insurance cover.
- 8.2.4 We do not accept liability for goods confiscated, seized, removed or damaged by Customs Authorities or other Government Agencies unless we have been negligent or in breach of contract.
8.3 For the purposes of this Agreement an item is defined as:
- 8.3.1 The entire contents of a box, parcel, package, carton, or similar container; and
- 8.3.2 Any other object or thing that is moved, handled or stored by us.
- 8.1 Our liability for loss or damage is limited, as set out in clause 8.1.1 below. Alternatively, you may request us to increase our liability, as set out in clause 8.1.2 below:
9. Damage to premises or property other than goods
9.1 Because third party contractors are frequently present at the time of collection or delivery our liability for loss or damage is limited as follows:
- 9.1.1 If we cause loss or damage to premises or property other than goods for removal as a result of our negligence or breach of contract, our liability shall be limited to making good the damaged area only.
- 9.1.2 If we cause damage as a result of moving goods under your express instruction, against our advice, and where to move the goods in the manner instructed is likely to cause damage, we shall not be liable.
- 9.1.3 If we are responsible for causing damage to your premises or to property other than goods submitted for removal and/or storage, you must note this on the worksheet or delivery receipt as soon as practically possible or within a reasonable time. This is fundamental to the Agreement.
- 9.1 Because third party contractors are frequently present at the time of collection or delivery our liability for loss or damage is limited as follows:
10. Exclusions of liability
10.1 Other than as a result of our negligence or breach of contract we will not be liable for any loss, damage or failure to produce the goods if caused by any of the following circumstances
- 10.1.1 By fire howsoever caused
- 10.1.2 By war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether war is declared or not), civil war, terrorism, rebellion and/or military coup, Act of God, third party industrial action or other such events outside our reasonable control.
- 10.1.3 By normal wear and tear, natural or gradual deterioration, leakage or evaporation or from perishable or unstable goods. This includes goods left within furniture or appliances.
- 10.1.4 By moth or vermin or similar infestation.
- 10.1.5 By cleaning, repairing or restoring unless we arranged for the work to be carried out.
- 10.1.6 By change to atmospheric or climatic conditions.OR
- 10.1.7 For any goods in wardrobes, drawers or appliances, or in a package, bundle, carton, case or other container not both packed and unpacked by us.
- 10.1.8 For electrical or mechanical derangement to any appliance, instrument, clock, computer or other equipment unless there is evidence of related external damage.
- 10.1.9 For any goods which have a pre-existing defect or are inherently defective.
- 10.1.10 For animals and their cages or tanks including pets, birds or fish.
- 10.1.11 For plants
- 10.1.12 For perishable items and/or those requiring a controlled environment.
- 10.1.13 For items referred to in Clause 4.
- 10.1.14 For damages or costs resulting indirectly from, or as a consequence of, loss, damage, or failure to produce the goods including but not limited to loss of use or amenity.
- 10.2 No employee of ours shall be separately liable to you for any loss, damage, miss-delivery, errors or omissions under the terms of this Agreement.
- 10.3 Our liability will cease upon handing over goods from our warehouse (see Clause 11.2 below).
- 10.1 Other than as a result of our negligence or breach of contract we will not be liable for any loss, damage or failure to produce the goods if caused by any of the following circumstances
11. Time limit for claims
- 11.1 For goods which we deliver, you must notify us in writing of any visible loss, damage or failure to produce any goods at the time of delivery.
- 11.2 If you or your agent collect the goods, you must notify us in writing of any loss or damage at the time the goods are handed to you or your agent.
- 11.3 Notwithstanding clauses 8, 9 and 10 we will not be liable for any loss of or damage to the goods unless a claim is notified to us, or to our agent or the company carrying out the collection or delivery of the goods on our behalf, in writing as soon as such loss or damage is discovered (or with reasonable diligence ought to have been discovered) and in any event within seven (7) days of delivery of the goods by us.
- 11.4 The time limit for notifying us of your claim may be extended upon receipt of your written request provided such request is received within seven (7) days of delivery. Consent to such a request will not be unreasonably withheld.
12. Delays in transit
- 12.1 Other than by reason of our negligence or breach of contract, we will not be liable for delays in transit.
- 12.2 If through no fault of ours we are unable to deliver your goods, we will take them into store. The Agreement will then be fulfilled and any additional service(s), including storage and delivery, will be at your expense.
13. Provision of services
In consideration of the Customer paying the Removal Charges, the Removal company shall provide the Removal and or Packing Services of the Customer's items with reasonable skill and care and in accordance with these terms and conditions and the email confirmation and shall provide properly skilled staff (including adequate supervision), equipment for such purpose. We aim to arrive on time; however, our job arrival times are estimates; we regret no discounts can be offered. Should the Removal Service take over 30 minutes longer than allocated, we reserve the right to charge you according to our hourly rates. Should the Location be outside the M25, we reserve the right to impose additional charges for the Removal Services.
14. Our Right to Hold the Goods (lien)
We shall have a right to withhold and/or ultimately dispose of some or all of the goods until you have paid all our charges and any other payments due under this or any other Agreement. (See also Clause 22). These include any charges that we have paid out on your behalf. While we hold the goods you will be liable to pay all storage charges and other costs incurred by our withholding your goods and these terms and conditions shall continue to apply.
If there is a dispute arising from this Agreement, which cannot be resolved, either party may refer it to the Conciliation Service provided by the British Association of Removers (BAR). If the dispute cannot be settled by this method, it may be referred by either party to the BAR Arbitration Service. Under this scheme, the case will be independently determined by an arbitrator appointed by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Recourse to arbitration is subject to certain limits, current details of which are available upon request from BAR Tel: 01923 699 486, Fax: 01923 699 481, Email: [email protected] Conciliation does not prejudice your right to commence court proceedings.
16. Our right to sub-contract the work
- 16.1 We reserve the right to sub-contract some or all of the work.
- 16.2 If we sub-contract, then these conditions will still apply.
17. Route and method
- 17.1 We have the right to choose the method and route by which to carry out the work.
- 17.2 Unless it has been specifically agreed otherwise in writing in our Quotation, other space/volume/capacity on our vehicles and/or the container may be utilized for consignments of other customers.
18. Advice and information for International Removals
We will use our reasonable endeavours to provide you with up to date information to assist you with the import/export of your goods.Information on such matters as national or regional laws and regulations which are subject to change and interpretation at any time is provided in good faith and is based upon existing known circumstances. It is your responsibility to seek appropriate advice to verify the accuracy of any information provided.
19. Applicable law
This contract is subject to the law of the country in which the office of the company issuing this contract is situated.
20. Your forwarding address
- 20.1 If you send goods to be stored, you must provide an address for correspondence and notify us if it changes. All correspondence and notices will be considered to have been received by you seven days after sending it to your last address recorded by us.
- 20.2 If you do not provide an address or respond to our correspondence or notices, we may publish such notices in a public newspaper in the area to or from which the goods were removed. Such notice will be considered to have been received by you seven days after the publication date of the newspaper. Note: If we are unable to contact you, we will charge you any costs incurred in establishing your whereabouts.
22. Revision of storage charges
We review our storage charges periodically.
You will be given 2 months notice in writing of any increases.
23. Our right to Sell or dispose of the Goods
If payment of our charges relating to your goods is in arrears, and on giving you three months' notice, we are entitled to require you to remove your goods from our custody and pay all money due to us. If you fail to pay all outstanding amounts due to us, we may sell or dispose of some or all of the goods without further notice. The cost of the sale or disposal will be charged to you. The net proceeds will be credited to your account and any eventual surplus will be paid to you without interest. If the full amount due is not received, we may seek to recover the balance from you.
If payments are up to date, we will not end this contract except by giving you three months notice in writing. If you wish to terminate your storage contract, you must give us at least 10 working days' notice (working days are defined in Clause 6 above). If we can release the goods earlier, we will do so, provided that your account is paid up to date. Charges for storage are payable to the date when the notice should have taken effect. Copyright Standard Terms – Copyright of The British Association of Removers Limited 2004 these contract conditions for use only by firms having permission